Thursday, 4 April 2013

Taking Sides

Apple or Microsoft.
Bit of a pickle innit?

I bought my laptop in the US there about 3 weeks ago and I had absolutely no idea whether to go with a MacBook or a PC. Obviously this is a heated debate that is fought, by brave and dedicated keyboard warriors, on many fronts daily and I had decided it was important that I declared my allegiance.

I was having lunch with Dad and we were weighing up the pros and cons of each manufacturer which I naturally feel compelled to mention them briefly and roughly here. I think that may be apart of the problem, people arguing the Apple/PC argument fail to go into enough detail and end up offending the other side by the failure to do so. The two product ranges share many similar characteristics and the key differences are often quite minute, hence why the detail becomes important. Anyway, I digress, here is what i concluded with Dad at that fateful lunchtime pizza diner, in lower midtown Manhatten;

Macbook
  • Stylish
  • Nice Interface
  • Great Customer Support
  • Quite Virus Safe
  • The App and iTunes Store
PC
  • More customisable
  • Better for Gaming
  • Better Product Choice
  • Much Much Cheaper for identical Tech Specs.
  • More familiar for Navigation
  • Huge amount of producers (e.g. Dell, Sony, Asus, HP)
Anyway, the key factors for me which swung my choice towards Microsoft and the PC were, customization, price, Gaming Choice and familiarity. 
The biggest of the above being customization and price. In my humble opinion I think Apple products are overpriced, by how much its hard to tell, but definitely overpriced. Also, in terms of Tech Specs, I wanted what I would use and wasn't interested in anything above or below that. 

At the end of the day I purchased an ASUS built Microsoft 14" Laptop running Windows 8.(Which I quite like, potential further post to come on that) The Technical Specifications are; 8 GB RAM, Intel Core i7 Processor, 750 GB Hard Drive, Back-lit keyboard and a 7 hour battery life (Better than most iPhones)

That is all.

P.S. On the subject of Phones, I have also stayed down the Android root for my smartphone. Simply for customisation, battery life and price. It would take a lot to push me down the iPhone route although they are quite nice to look at. I'll probably post about this later </P>


No comments:

Post a Comment